Saturday, August 16, 2014

#rpgaday Sixteen




Game I Wish I Owned


At this point in my life, I own a lot of games.  Like seriously.  I lost count ages ago, but they take up over 100 feet of shelf space in my study, bedroom, and garage.  So, at this point, the games I wish I owned tend to be rarities.  While it’s not high on my priority list, one I’d love to get my hands on was the first ever licensed Star Trek RPG (also, the first Science Fiction RPG, for that matter), Heritage Model’s Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier.  In high school, one of my best friends owned it; I borrowed it and actually had a photocopy of the rules.  It was, honestly, pretty terrible.  But it’s the sort of weird piece of gaming history I’d love to own.

 
I'm unfamiliar with this particular cover art, but that's the game
 
For what it's worth, I DO own the unauthorized reprint that Gamescience put out of it in the 80s, which uses art that's similar enough to the movie Trek to be recognizable, but not actionable, and strips out Star Trek terminology with generic terms like "Vulcan Science Officer," because no one would see that as infringement.  The reprint includes a set of rules for miniature spaceship combat that make Starfleet Battles look easy by comparison.

Either that, or a TSR version of Empire of the Petal Throne.  I’ve got the Gamescience reprint, which is a mostly faithful reproduction (square-bound instead of comb, no box).  The vinyl maps are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment