Tuesday, August 5, 2014

#rpgaday: Day Five


Most Old School RPG Owned

By which definition of “Old School?”  I mean, I’ve got the D&D collector box with reprints of all the original stuff.  I’ve got a first printing of the DMG and a full set of Orange Spine AD&D books.  I have a first edition Champions book, as well as the brown ink printing of Call of Cthulhu and a Stormbringer boxed set.  Most of this stuff I got when it first saw print.

OSR Stuff?  I’ve got tons of it.  I’ve played Labyrinth Lord and Swords & Wizardry in the past year, and play in a regular Mutant Future game.  If it’s available in bits and bytes, I probably own a PDF and maybe a book as well.

Actually, I think the most intensely Old School game I own might be Goodman Games’ Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.  It is intentionally and deeply Old School in its sensibilities and execution, despite using a lot of modern rules approaches.  In fact, it’s Old School in a way the other games really can’t be, because it’s intentionally crafted to create a feel that occurred organically back in the day. And that’s a remarkable achievement.

Or maybe the brown Greyhawk folio I bought for about ten bucks used that had notes in pencil on the map that read “Tim’s Dungeon,” “Doug’s Dungeon,” “Our Fort,” and the like.  Old stuff that got used is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment