Monday, December 18, 2017

12 For 12 #9

Looks like we're on the home stretch here.



You’re planning to run some science fiction, in a setting of your choice. Is there any particular technology you want to include because the possibilities intrigue you? Is there a standard piece of “future technology” you’d rather leave out?

I'm not going to get too far off in the weeds over "What is science fiction?", but I should note that I'm not counting Star Wars. With that out of the way, and knowing my tastes and interests, odds are I'm looking at Star Trek, as my tastes in SF are fairly generic and vanilla. In that case, I'm going to pick an era and run with it, so whatever tech is appropriate to that time period is what I'll use. Now, that said, technology gives us lots of cool stories to explore in Trek. "The Wrath of Khan" showed how a potential boon could be weaponized, but let's take the Genesis Device, use it as intended, and explore the consequences of newly habitable worlds in an area that might have previously served as a natural (lifeless) barrier between two hostile powers. Make the PC's ship the only Federation vessel permanently assigned to the area, attached to the Deep Space station coordinating the colonization efforts. Instant campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment