Sunday, January 29, 2012

Convention One-Shots: The Hardest Part

So, in less than a week, I'm signed up to run two Feng Shui games in the space of twelve hours (two four-round slots with a break for me to actually play something in between).  I enjoy running convention games.  I'm good at it.  The players and I always seem to have a good time.

I've got the PCs statted up.  I've got the adventure generally plotted out.  It's a bit looser than I usually do for a convention, but since I'm running the same scenario twice, I'm kind of interested in seeing how the two groups approach the same plot, so it's not quite as on rails as my usual one-shots.

But I'll be damned if I can find the energy at the moment to actually do all of the other little things I really should be doing to prepare for the game.  Like scour the net for visuals, and make place cards for the players with their PC's name on it, and put together "Play Mats" that will help them keep track of resources during play.

Or actually stat out the opposition or write down the story beats that are in my head.  I know no one will ever accuse me of over-preparing for a game, but this feels worse than normal.

Hopefully, my Procrastinating Muse will kick in sometime in the next 48 hours so I can knock it all out.  In the meantime, I'm just quietly panicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment