Thursday, May 24, 2012

Yeah, I'm a Lemming

I won't lie to you, Marge.  I've been looking forward to the open playtest of D&D Next for a while.  Not champing at the bit, but eager to see what they come up with.  A lot of the buzz on the street (so to speak) gave the indication that WotC figured out they'd lost the soul of the game.  4e is a terrific piece of game design, and I've enjoyed our ongoing game, but it doesn't feel like D&D to me.  Even 3/3.5/Pathfinder is usually too complicated and involved for me to really enjoy it.  The closest I've gotten to what feels "right" to me is Castles & Crusades, and it's got its own set of issues.

At this point, I've only managed to download the playtest docs, load them on my iPad, and take the briefest of looks at them on a bathroom break (lunch is still an hour away), but it looks pretty promising.  It seems simple and clean and, at first glance, the character roles look like what I expect from Dungeons & Dragon, not from game pieces designed to fill tactical roles.  Hopefully, I can give it a read through at lunch and get a better idea of what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment